I was pleased and a little confuses to see a notification on my page from hessianwithteeth nominating my blog for a Liebster award. Being me,I had to go google what it was. I’ll spare the length here since it is easily findable online.
I feel icky sending personal messages about this though. Makes it feel chain mail-y so excuse me, the 2 people I did message it too. Sorry, skeptic at heart and I also hate being invasive onto people’s blogs. Just me. It’s really cool still though! Good bonding exercise.
Basically, it’s a neat little thing for newish bloggers. I bit, and here I am. It was a lovely exercise. The project: 11 random facts about self, 11 nominees for the reward, answer 11 questions asked to you, then ask 11 questions to the nominees. Very nice.
First, the random facts:
1. I’m a 1st generation college kid with a pending dual major in Bible and Philosophy.
2. Intermediate immersive Ancient Hebrew of 2 years.
3. Pure bred cat snob. Raised breeding cats, with most experience with Siamese.
4. My amazing mother had 2 strokes in her early 30’s. She is my idol. Despite the damage, still brilliant and going to college in her 50’s!
5. Been married twice. Still in contact with my ex, I believe love never ends just changes. Current husband 5-6 years my junior, and happily in love.
6. I have an unseen disease I do not discuss, but is a daily struggle for me. Last hospital stint leading to a month disability.
7. I have 300+ poems written covering 10 Years of my life.
8. Alarayeth and Nikeyo are pen names of mine. The former from a novel my mother wrote and has been a name I’ve gone by online for 15 years.
9. I’:m 3rd generation Italian, with my great-grandparents coming through Ellis island. Great-grandma lives just long enough to have a picture taken holding me when I was born. She passed days later.
10. Most of my life I was a fundamental Christian: baptised in water and spirit with manifestation of tongues, lead a youth group in Queens, NY and miraculously healed a dozen or so (supposedly). Turned Atheist in college.
11. “Doubt everything, even this” is my philosophical mantra. I know nothing.
Questions asked of me:
1) What convinced you to start blogging?
I was making lengthy status posts on FB when a couple people suggested I blog. So instead of flooding people’s walls with my long posts, took it here!
2) Do you volunteer? For what cause and why?
Not as much as I want, but when I do it’s to raise awareness for a local Atheists and Freethinker group I’m a part of.
3) Do you consider yourself an activist?
I do. Not as active as I want, but I fight for what I feel strongly about.
4) What is your favorite genre to read?
For leisure, the occasional sci-fi. But I enjoy philosophy, science, and biblical studies more.
5) Who is your favorite author and what is your favorite book by them?
When anyone asks favorite book, always go to the Bible. It’s my nerdy historical fascination. Author? Can’t pick one. Everyone has a voice, and I enjoy reading it.
6) If you could spend the day with any well-known figure (alive or dead), who would it be and why?
Socrates. His dialectic style makes my mouth water. Father of philosophy and the simile of the line? Yes, please.
7) What truths, if any, do you hold as self evident? Why?
“I think, therefore I am.” That’s about it as far as self-evident can get, isn’t it?
8) Do you attend any conferences? If so, which ones any why?
Nah. I’ll attend the occasional colloquium or lecture if it’s about religion or science though.
9) What is your dream job?
Professor of Philosophy at a University.
10) If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
Hunger, eradicate that shit for Pete’s sake already. Basic life need, food, and we’re worried about our gadgets. Baffles my mind how that is still a thing in this world….
11) If you could make a movie, what would it be about and who would be in it?
My Aunt Karen’s love story with John…. It needs to be written and seen because their love inspires me every day. She blogs about him ever since his soul-crunching departure from our lives: http://kmtygert.wordpress.com
My questions for them if they choose to accept:
1. Why do you blog?
2. What inspires you?
3. What’s one book I/everyone should read?
4. What’s on the top of your bucket list?
5. What social justice issue is closest to your heart?
6. Favorite movie and why?
7. Favorite quote?
8. What makes you laugh out loud?
9. Who had the biggest influence on your life, and do explain?
10. What do you like about blogging?
11. What do you dislike about blogging (yours or/and others)